Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Mr. B and his cane

I am going to go back a few weeks ago when I first started my new job at the Convalescent home. I had been there only a few days and was meeting a lot of new people staff and some of the residents ,this was a totally new experience for me in regards to the work enviroment.. I was walking down the hallway one day  and this elderly gentlemen in a wheel chair called out to me" Hey Maintenance man"  I quickly responded "yes sir how can I help you?" He told me he had a project for me if I would follow him to his room , he would show me so I actually pushed him back to his room in his wheel chair and I read the nameplate  beside the door and  learned his name, we 'll just call him Mr.B.  .He opened a drawer he had clothes and other stuff in and pulled out a small curved deer antler, being a hunter I immediately  knew what it was, he then reached over in the corner and got a walking cane,  this deer antler had been previously been fitted to the cane for a handle and it had broke off  and he wanted me to see if I could fix it  , I asked  him to give me a few days  and I would see if I could figure out a way to fix it.  So I took it back to the shop and leaned it up next to my desk and the wheels started to turn  When one of the other maintenance workers went out for supplies the next day  I asked him to pick me up a small wooden dowel for me  , I was able to drill out both pieces and insert the wooden dowel into it with some wood glue and it went back together perfect .  I put it back in the shop to dry and stopped by Mr. B's room to let him know the status and he was gone ,I found him  waiting near the nurse stations to be transported to his doctor, I didn't ask what for . Well I went home at the end of my shift that day and returned the next day  As I was doing some routine maintenance i made my way by  Mr. B's room   No Mr. B, I looked for him throughout the building and outside in the courtyard, (he likes to sit out there in the morning)   but couldn't find him .We were really busy and I went back to doing my job. that  day still no  Mr.B. ,It was Friday and  although I was getting very concerned about him I didn't want to  ask anyone being my first week and a new employee, I  had told  my wife about Mr.B earlier in the week and expressed my concern   for him , was he ok ? what if something has happend him ? what do I do with cane? does he have family?   Monday came after i clocked I   made my way toMr B's room,  no Mr.B.,  I found him in the courtyard  he had been hospitalized due to infection around his pacemaker  and they hasd to put another one in  he was doing better . Relief!  I told him I had his cane ready and would bring it by his room shortly.A little while later when I got a chance I took  the cane by and gave it  to im he was  so thankful and told me  "Thank you my friend from the bottom of my heart "  as he stuck out his hand to shake mine and I  shook his hand and he held on and patted my hand with his other hand  and continued to thank me  over and over  I told him no problem I was glad to help him and if he needed anything to let me know .  I left his room that day knowing that  as small of a deal as that was to fix and may seem, it was important to him  and my kindness  made an impression upon him . God puts us in certain place and brings certain people into our life , Was I put  there for Mr.B or was he put there  for me ?    There is more about Mr.B. to come ........          

No comments:

Post a Comment